To apply to be an ISUR Scholar, students must be
- A University of Illinois student in an engineering discipline*
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a University of Illinois GPA of 2.8 or higher
Women, first-generation students, and students from underrepresented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Funding is available for all majors, year-levels, and engineering research areas. However, the majority of the funding is focused on
- Rising sophomore and junior students
- Students majoring in agricultural and biological engineering, chemical and biomolecular engineering, electrical and computer engineering, computer science, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, engineering mechanics, and physics
- Students participating in research projects related to health and the sustainability of the environment, electronics, semiconductors, and information technology
*Students outside of engineering disciplines can be considered depending on the nature of the research proposed. Note that priority will be given to engineering students.