The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Grainger College of Engineering has been awarded the Office of Naval Research (ONR) grant for the Accelerated Learning and Engineering Research Training (ALERT) program in Electronic and Cyber Security for Undergraduate Midshipmen and Cadets. The ALERT Program offers undergraduate students multidisciplinary/interdisciplinary research and educational experiences. Project Principal Investigators (PIs), who are faculty members from different engineering departments, provide research projects related to electronic defense and cyber security. In Spring 2022, the ALERT Program offered research opportunities to non-ROTC students.
In the online application form, applicants rank the projects according to their preference. Project PIs will weigh in on the student selection for their respective projects.
Undergraduate researchers will be assigned to each project which will be supervised by a graduate student mentor. They will be hired as undergraduate hourly researchers. For the ROTC midshipmen and cadets, their summer hours will be scheduled to not interfere with summer training program.
ALERT program participants will also attend research seminars and professional development workshops, and present their research in local and national symposia/conferences.
The 2021-22 ALERT Program Projects will be extended to Fall 2022. Applications are now closed for participation in Spring 2022 to Fall 2022.
- Undergraduate researcher stipends
- Research-related travel support
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Preferably be undergraduate students enrolled in any of the ROTC units: Navy, Army, or Air Force (not required)
- Preferably rising juniors or seniors
- Preferably majoring in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics)
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Statement of Interest (Maximum of 800 words)
- Why are you interested in research?
- What are your career/professional goals?
- What are your academic/research interests?
- State any work experience, specific skills, and other relevant information
- Unofficial Transcript
- Resume (PDF file)