The Clare Boothe Luce Program Undergraduate Research Awards aim to support women undergraduates seeking to study or teach science, mathematics, and/or engineering via the research pathway to graduate studies.
Eight (8) women undergraduates will be selected each year as Clare Boothe Luce Research Scholars. Scholars will be part of the Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research (ISUR) program and will work closely with faculty sponsor/mentor and graduate student mentor on research projects.
- $5000 award for fall and spring semesters (at least 10 hours/week doing research)
- $7000 award for 10 weeks in summer (35 hours/week doing research)
- Participation in ISUR programmatic activities (e.g., fall undergraduate research course, monthly research seminars, poster expo)
- Up to $350 support to travel to present research in conferences
- Must be a woman undergraduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Rising sophomore, junior, or senior
- University of Illinois GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Seriously considering a research career and pursuing graduate studies in science/math/engineering field
- Majoring in
- Science – physics or chemistry
- Engineering – aerospace, agricultural, biological, bioengineering, chemical, civil, environmental, electrical, engineering mechanics, computer, industrial, materials science, mechanical, nuclear, systems, engineering physics, computer science
- Completion of Online Application Form
- Two -Page Project Proposal
- Background of study
- Project Timeline
- Personal Statement (two pages maximum, double spaced)
- Interest in research
- Interest and intent to pursue graduate degrees in science/math/engineering
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (Recommender may be a professional or academic contact)
- Recommender should provide perspective of applicant’s potential to succeed in a research career and in science/math/engineering fields
- Letters should address the applicant’s interest in research, interest in science/math/engineering careers, potential to become an independent researcher, attitude towards learning, and work ethic
- Important Note: For recommenders affiliated with the University of Illinois, please submit your letter here. For recommenders who are not affiliated with the University of Illinois, please inform them to email their recommendation letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Process (2021-2022)
Applicants must complete all the application requirements by March 7, 2021 (extended deadline from Feb. 28). They are also responsible for following up on letters of recommendation. Applications will be screened for completeness, then reviewed by a selection committee. Project proposals will be evaluated on their design and feasibility, intellectual merit, and integration of research and education.
Application Deadline: EXTENDED TO MARCH 7
Notifications: April 30, 2021
For inquiries, please email email@example.com.