With the generosity of the DaRin Butz Foundation, the Grainger College of Engineering Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research (ISUR) Program offers women undergraduate students funding to do research in the summer. The foundation’s support of the ISUR summer program is aimed to encourage women to pursue careers in science and engineering.
DaRin Butz Foundation Research Scholars conduct research in the areas of computer science, aerospace, electrical, computer, materials science, nuclear engineering, physics, or astronomy. Scholars will work with faculty mentors who will supervise, guide, and instruct them on their research during the course of the project. They are expected to do research 30 – 35 hours per week for 10 weeks in summer. Through the learning-by-apprenticeship model, the scholars will not only develop their research skills but also their science communication skills (verbal and written) and presentation skills as a researcher in the undergraduate research seminar ENG 199 UGR, which they will take in the fall semester. DaRin Butz Foundation Research Scholars will also present their work in the Fall Engineering Research Fair or the annual ISUR poster expo in the spring semester.
Interested applicants must submit a two-page research project proposal as part of their application. Applicants are encouraged to work with their mentor on the project proposal.
- $5000 research scholarship for 10 weeks in the summer on campus
- Close working relationship with a research mentor
- Gain an understanding of what graduate school entails
- Must be a University of Illinois woman undergraduate student in the Grainger College of Engineering
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Rising sophomore, junior, or senior
- Majoring in computer science, aerospace, electrical, computer, materials science, nuclear engineering, physics, or astronomy
- University of Illinois GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Previous recipients of the award are ineligible to apply
Application Timeline for Summer 2021
Application Opens: January 15, 2021 Online Application Form
Application Deadline: March 31, 2021
Notifications will be sent via email by: April 15, 2021
Flexible on start date for summer research
For more information on Previous Recipients: